Altering Our Community - One Pet at a Time
• Only 1 in 9 cats and dogs born in the US will find homes.
• Lack of a home is the #1 killer of dogs and cats.
• By domesticating cats and dogs, we have inherited the responsibility to protect them.
Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Program
The Watauga Humane Society (WHS) joined with the ASPCA Spay/Neuter Alliance in Asheville to provide low-cost sterilization for pets in Watauga County.
• Your pet will live longer.
• Your pet will be less likely to roam, get in fights or get hit by a car.
• Your pet will be less aggressive.
• Your pet will be less likely to spray urine or mark territory inside or outside the house.
• Spaying or neutering does not affect a dog’s instinct to hunt or protect home and family.
What Does It Cost?
Regular Clinic Cost
• Dogs: $60 • Female Cats: $50 • Male cats: $35
• Vaccines: $12 • Feline leukemia test: $20
• Microchip: $20 • Heartworm test: $20
• Nail clip: $5
Don’t Make Excuses!
• Spay/neuter is inexpensive!
• This is important. You have the time!
• Now you know where to go for the best prices!
• There is nothing cruel or unusual about spay/neuter. It is the right
thing to do!
• Your pet’s personality and behavior will only change for the better!
How Our Program Works: First, Make a Reservation!
Call Watauga Humane Society: 828-264-7865 and press ext. 4.
- Kittens and puppies must be at least 12 weeks old and must weigh at least 3 pounds.
- Females must not be lactating. Mothers must be away from their
babies for 2 weeks minimum to stop producing milk.
Picking Up Your Pet
Pick up your pet at the shelter at 12:30 on Friday. You will receive written after-care instructions from ASPA Spay/Neuter Alliance and Watauga Humane Society staff will go over those instructions with you in detail when you pick up your pet. Pay fee or copay at the time of pickup with cash, check or card.
• Your pet will now live a longer, healthier life. Doesn’t that feel good?
SNIPS (Spay-Neuter is a Positive Solution)
Watauga Humane Society’s Spay/Neuter Committee (aka S.N.I.P.S*) is dedicated to reducing animal intake and euthanasia numbers by educating the community and raising necessary funds in order to facilitate low cost spay/neuter surgeries for area animals. *Spay Neuter is a Positive Solution
SNIPS meets on the fourth Saturday of the month at 12:30 p.m. in the Turchin Room at WHS to share ideas and craft together to benefit our animal friends. For more information, or to become involved, please email email@example.com or call 828-719-6105.