Altering Our Community - One Pet at a Time
• Only 1 in 9 cats and dogs born in the US will find homes.
• Lack of a home is the #1 killer of dogs and cats.
• By domesticating cats and dogs, we have inherited the responsibility to protect them.
Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Program
The Watauga Humane Society (WHS) joined with the Humane Alliance Spay/Neuter Clinic in Asheville to provide low-cost sterilization for pets in Watauga County. Learn more about Humane Alliance at this link: humanealliance.org.
• Your pet will live longer.
• Your pet will be less likely to roam, get in fights or get hit by a car.
• Your pet will be less aggressive.
• Your pet will be less likely to spray urine or mark territory inside or outside the house.
• Spaying or neutering does not affect a dog’s instinct to hunt or protect home and family.
What Does It Cost?
Regular Clinic Cost
• Dogs: $60 • Female Cats: $50 • Male cats: $35
• Vaccines: $12 • Feline leukemia test: $20
• Microchip: $20 • Heartworm test: $20
• Nail clip: $5
Don’t Make Excuses!
• Spay/neuter is inexpensive!
• This is important. You have the time!
• Now you know where to go for the best prices!
• There is nothing cruel or unusual about spay/neuter. It is the right
thing to do!
• Your pet’s personality and behavior will only change for the better!
How Our Program Works: First, Make a Reservation!
Call Watauga Humane Society: 828-264-7865.
- Call Tuesday-Sunday 12:30 to 5 pm. Closed Mondays.
- Kittens and puppies must be at least 12 weeks old and must weigh at least 3 pounds.
- Females must not be lactating. Mothers must be away from their
babies for 2 weeks minimum to stop producing milk.
Picking Up Your Pet
Pick up your pet at the shelter at 12:30 on Friday. You will receive written after-care instructions from Humane Alliance and Watauga Humane Society staff will go over those instructions with you in detail when you pick up your pet. Pay fee or copay at the time of pickup with cash, check or card.
• Your pet will now live a longer, healthier life. Doesn’t that feel good?
SNIPS (Spay-Neuter is a Positive Solution)
SNIPS is WHS’s spay/neuter committee. To help WHS further reduce low cost spay/neuter surgery services, SNIPS members create and sell a variety of original arts and crafts at fairs and contact tables throughout the community, year round. We also have a huge plant sale every year in May. Proceeds fund spay/neuter surgeries for the pets of people who need financial assistance, beyond the usual low cost, to have their pets spayed or neutered.
SNIPS meets on the fourth Saturday of the month at 12:30 p.m. in the Turchin Room at WHS to share ideas and craft together to benefit our animal friends. For more information, or to become involved, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 828-719-6105.